Friday, June 02, 2006

ONE WEEK OUT OF THE WOODS

Hi friends,


Thanks for your prayers and support. The incisions are looking great. The remaining drain was supposed to come out on Tuesday (May 30), but I was still producing more than 30cc of fluid in a 24-hour period. Things had slowed down, though, and praise God, they removed the drain Thursday (June 1)!

Wednesday (May 31) I received a call from Dr. Christian (surgical oncologist) who reconfirmed that there were no cancer cells found in the lymph nodes, and that the two tumors in the right breast were of different origins (cell type) but both had margins that are fine. For those of my many medical friends out there, and the rest of you that may have an interest to learn, one is invasive ductile and the other lobular ductile. Incidentally, the doctors found a 2mm cancerous tumor in the left side in the tissue that was removed when they did the reduction lift on that side. Praise God that they did do a reduction lift on the left side. Dr. Christian said that most people harbor small tumors in their body (which are discovered in the autopsy after one dies) that never become a problem.

The next step will be a talk with the oncologist to discuss treatment (chemo, hormonal, radiation). The incidental findings of this 2mm tumor might impact the original treatment plan. Radiation is a concern in my case since implants have been inserted.

I appreciate the phone calls, e-mails, visits, flowers, meals and love and prayers of you all. After my visit on Tuesday to the plastic surgeon, I visited the lab connected with my job, which provided a good walk, and it was nice to see everybody again. Everyone commented that I was looking great and they couldn't believe how well I looked, even better than before the surgery. Please pray that I keep my positive attitude and peace as I continue on this journey. The news from Dr. Christian was a little surprising.

Please pray for me as I try to attend a few hours of a conference in Quincy this Friday where I might present a little bit. I will be able to go, as the drain is out; it's a question of whether I am feeling up to it.

Please pray that I will not be overwhelmed. I am feeling the responsibility of work at the hospital, and at Verami (it really picked up this week, which is good). On top of this, I need to be responsible for managing my health, other things that need to be done around home, relaxing (sleeping, reading, visits, calls, listening to music), eating (lots of protein, fruit, vegetables) and drinking lots of fluids (when my sister left to come to Boston my niece reminded her to make sure Aunt Ruth is drinking enough).

Thank God for the little surprise packages of joy that He sends my way each day.

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home