Friday, July 14, 2006

Second Chemo Treatment

Dear Friends,

Well, the second round of chemo is behind me (was on Friday). I am so thankful that it went so much better this time. I really feel carried by prayer. I have felt great. My stomach and appetite have been wonderful this time as well as my energy level. Went for Hymalayian (Indian/Nepali) food on Thursday evening the night before my chemo and maybe the yogurt lassie also was another form of protection for my stomach in addition to the prayers.

I spent a pretty normal weekend. Haven't had a weekend like that for months. Felt and feel pretty much like myself (energy wise and health wise). Went to East Boston for some El Salvadorian specialty, cooked this weekend, spoke on the radio Saturday evening about my journey (unexpectedly and without preparation), Sunday went to church (people said I was looking great but I sure was loosing my hair) and a few other activities on Sunday including laying down for a bit (I haven't really been tired though so sleeping during the day as well as nights are not easy).

The first chemo treatment I didn't feel well starting the day of the treatment and for about a week. This time I was going to take more anti nausea drugs but didn't even need to do that other then the required ones (two at 8 am and two at 8 pm both on Saturday and Sunday). I am thankful for a colleague at the lab who has been giving me my shot (has to be soon after 24 hours after I finish the chemo). Thank you Lord for a great round of treatment. 2 already behind me. Many have been asking about the chemo treatment. I am at the clinic for 3-4 hours but the actual IV injection time is only about 2 hours. The time actually goes quite quickly.

My platelet counts are good and they are pleased with how my body is responding. Was encouraged yesterday to hear that I have two more treatments like the last two (July 28th and August 11th). After that there are four treatments (every Friday for one month) but these are easier treatments. Time is flying.

Please pray for me as my potassium levels are up and this is a concern. I have a great diet with lots of variety of foods and all cancer fighting foods but they are now all on the no no list. I am to stay away from bananas, broccoli, spinach, potatoes, sweet potatoes, papaya, beets, mango, prunes, milk, yogurt, etc. The low potassium foods if I eat more then 1/2 a cup they become high potassium foods. So it was a weekend of being creative and thinking hard as to what I could eat. Went grocery shopping yesterday at Whole Foods. No more meats and other products with hormones. Trying to be as organic as possible without increasing the food bill by a lot. Having to learn a new way of eating and shopping. Ate very healthy before, but now I will start even being more careful.

Thanks for all your support and prayers.

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home