Saturday, June 24, 2006

Dear Friends,

Thanks for all your support, prayer, and e-mails. My Dad went on a respirator yesterday because he stopped breathing Thursday night on his own. Yesterday, was a tough day of phone calls back and forth, my brother (he and my nephew had plans to be here now anyway)and brother in law (away on business) trying to change plane tickets to get to Albany as quick as possible and me also trying to figure out how to get to Albany due to my health issues and not being able to drive myself there. Things looked a little better later in the day when they said that it is ammonia and a urinary track infection. We were thinking the leukemia attacking stronger or his systems shutting down due to the other disease. Those could be true too but at this point they are treating for the pneumonia and urinary track infrection. He is not out of the woods and is a very very sick man especially since his body has a harder time fighting infection due to the other diseases he has.

My sister Sharon offered to come and pick me up which would be a 7 hour trip total. I prayed that God would provide another solution. I called several friends and God provided a ride to Springfield for me this morning which means my sister will only have to drive 4 1/2 hours. I have someone to meet me in Springfield on Monday. Looking for a back up plan for Sunday for someone to meet me in Springfield if my Dad is doing better since I do have a doctor's apppointment on Monday am.

So I am leaving this morning (Saturday) to go to Albany. We will all be there including my brother who is leaving for Iraq in a few weeks and expecting a baby just brefore leaving. They live in San Diego. We will have a family meeting to discuss how to care for my dad. He will be in the ICU, then regular hospital room, then rehab, and then home but my mom will need to have 24 hour assistance with him. This is the current plan if all goes as planned. Please pray for us as we have many decisions to make.

I had many tears at work yesterday as I thought about the special moment I had with my Dad last Friday when he came to visit. He begged my mom to bring him to see me. My Dad doesn't usually express those types of desires. I got five minutes alone with him that were very special and I saw the love he has for me expressed like never before. He is not a man who is able to express those deep feelings. He then kissed me on the hair. Somehow I felt this was a goodbye. In my memory I don't remember my Dad ever kissing me. I thank God for that special moment.

I am thankful that I will be able to go and be with my family at this time although I will only be able to go into the hospital for a few minutes and with a mask. I will provide support in other ways. I am still recuperating myself and getting ready for my chemo on Firday. Can you believe that my operation was a month ago already?

Thanks again for being on this journey with me.

Blessings,

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home