Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Ready for 6th Chemo Treatment

Dear Friends,

I know I am so far behind in keeping you updated as well as the blog. Thanks for your prayers and support.

My first taxol treatment went really well. During the treatment (longer then the previous ones) went much better then I was expecting. I had to take 5 steroid pills the night before and 4 the morning of. Then they gave me more intravenously. Everything was intravenous this time. The only side effect I had was that the benadryl made me sleepy so I slept a bit during the chemo treatment and I was light sensitive and needed the lights out and my eyes closed.

My GI system has been working great. Only had a few days this past week of heartburn but not bad at all. Just adjusted my food. I think that diet is so important during these treatments but it is hard. I really miss being able to be more free with what I eat. No acidic foods (that means tomato based too and orange juice to name a few. The tomato one is hard.) and no spicy foods. I am still being careful in regard to potassium but not as strict as I was earlier. I also should have things room temperature or cold. I am thankful for the support I have for helping me to stick to what keeps my body feeling well. My stomach has felt great except for the first three days of the very first treatment in June. I am very thankful to God for this blessing. Last week I did have some days when I did not have interest in eating because nothing sounded good but I did eat. I was waiting for the two major side effects of the taxol which were excessive moodiness (I was to warn those close to me) and flue like ache and pains. Well the moodiness was a week delayed and it was not fun. The only pain I had was my lower back and it wasn't enough o take any pain medication.

Thanks for your prayers for me in regard to getting my injection (by the way it costs $3,500). A friend I hadn't seen in a long time called to tell me that he would have great pleasure in giving me a nice shot in my arm. He is a pediatrician. He and his family were coming in to town to the Children's museum and would be able to stop by. My regular people for my shot were not available so I was very thankful for my friend Andrew and also to be able to see his wife and three daughters. Talking about friends I have not seen in a long time, I have had two visits recently from out of town guests who made a side trip to stop by for a few hours to see me. Haven't seen either one in years. I will have a friend visiting from Germany for a few days soon and my mom is coming for a few days for this chemo treatment tomorrow.

Well it is time for the 6th Treatment. Was supposed to be having 8 total but it looks like they are adding two more. I think this has to do with the fact that the cancer was bilateral. The treatment starts at 10am. Will probably last until about 4pm.

I am still working mostly from home but do go in my hours here and there.

I am feeling strong and most of the time almost forget that I am in chemo other than having to think about eating differently, drinking lots of water, some movements sometimes I feel a strain, and medical appointments (bloodworm, chemo, organizing parts of my care-shot giver, person to go with me to chemo, and coverage afterwards at least for some day). God has so well provided for me. I thank him for the strength. This past week I finally felt motivated to start catching up on things around the house that have gott4en behind in the last 5 months (cleaning, organizing). It felt so good. I felt so much more like myself. Maybe it was the steroids but either way I believe the Lord was giving me strength and encouragement.

I was picking up someone from T stop the other day and a guy on the street made a comment, "You look great." I thought to my self, if he only knew that I was in the middle of chemo. Yes, I don't look like I am in chemo. My head is feeling more cleared out this last two weeks and it is starting to be easier to focus on things (and especially work). Everything becoming more routine and less overwhelming. Someone at work, who has not seen me since before my operation, said ”When it rains it pours. I asked him what was going on in his life. He said, "No I am talking about you. The cancer and then your Dad. And look you are still smiling." Yes, I am thankful for the joy and the blessings and faith. I feel carried and my attitude is that this is not a difficult time although it is. I am a person who worries about the little things and am thankful for the blessing of learning to live for today and that God is still giving me PEACE beyond understanding. Thank you LORD"

Got to run to get my blood taken and to work on a grant.

Be looking for many updates to the blog as I am so far behind. In preparation mode. Just need some before others so there is a delay. www.ruths-journey.blogspot.com

Have an awesome day!!

Thanks for everything and being with me on this journey! May God continue to be glorified as He has promised us that he would on this journey.

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home