Monday, December 04, 2006

8th Chemo Update (Final Chemo)

Check out the blog with many new updates and pics of me at the zoo, me with no hair, and many other entries. www.ruths-journey.blogspot.com

Dear Friends,

I know I have been silent for a while. PRAISE GOD I FINISHED CHEMO ON OCTOBER 5TH. I rang the bell at the end of chemo and ended up talking to several at the clinic who were asking me questions. Sure didn’t expect to be one who would be experienced in chemo therapy to encourage others. Of course every experience is different and mine was much easier then many. They refer to me as the star patient. The many prayers carried me. I believe the Lord had already healed me of the cancer before the chemo and therefore my body was strong and handled the chemo well with minimal side effects (no stomach or GI problems and didn’t spend even a day in bed).

Please continue to keep the prayers coming. Don’t stop. In many ways the last weeks have been even more difficult mentally and emotionally and I am still not able to eat what ever I want. Thanks so much for your support and prayers. Many of you have said that I have been very much on your mind and in your prayers the last weeks. I have really needed it. They have been some of the toughest weeks of the whole journey.

October 5th was my last Chemo Treatment (8 treatments in total). Thank you Lord for helping me to get through 8 chemo treatments. You would think there is great celebration. Well, I have to tell you it is actually been a real let down. Yes, after Chemo on Thursday I walked 9 holes of golf on Saturday with out dragging at all, but the drugs are still in me and I seem to be more tired. Probably, partly to do with the day after chemo having to start some very stressful weeks of work to get two (not one) RO1 government grants out for November 1st. Hard enough to do one, never mind two and in my condition. I worked 36 hours at the lab this week and have worked very little remotely these last weeks which is more tiring on me. I even have walked several days to and from work which is 2 miles each way.

I have been having a bit of chemo brain which means it is tough to focus, I am overwhelmed easily, and I can’t think straight, and sometimes can’t think or talk fast enough. Also, I was afraid to depend on my brain. In fact, one day it was quite bad. As I was getting out of my car at my work to have my care valet parked, I told myself to not lock my keys in the car. Well, I did, and because I felt like I was walking in a fog I walked away quickly and they didn’t know where to find me. I came out 5 hours later and was surprised to see my car where I had left it. I call it a miracle tank of gas. I thankfully got gas last minute before I got to work and when I came out five hours later my tank was still on full and also lasted me over a week afterwards. I was afraid to drive to work again because I had drawn so much attention to me. Instead, I became known as the woman who locked her keys in the car and have developed many new friends with the valet parking guys. Things happen for a reason. I am now very comfortable parking there.

Well, I am learning that Low tides come before Victories and Low tides come after Victories. I know this but it is rough. We want life to be lots of High Tides but instead it is Low Tide, High Tide, Low Tide, High Tide, Low Tide, High Tide, Low Tide and so on. Lord help me to accept those Low Tides. God has just done a great Victory in my life. I am considered cancer free. It has been very intense time but it did not feel intense since I really felt God carrying me through like the feet of the dear.
I just finished 8 Physical Therapy sessions where we have been working a bit on my posture but most has been massage therapy. Now that chemo and Physical Therapy are done I can focus on the reconstruction of my breast. The plastic surgeon said I have a long way to go. Will go every week or every other week for more saline. This week they injected 60 cc’s. On December 13th I will have my follow-up appointment with my oncologist.

2 Corinthians 1:9-11

“Indeed, I our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us form such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us I answer to the prayers of many.”

Thanks so much for your continuous prayers and support.

Ruth

1 Comments:

At 4:30 AM, Blogger Dave and Janet Harkness said...

Hi Ruth! This is Dave and Janet here at the Van Baay House. We enjoyed reading and viewing the pictures on your blog this morning. What a great place to share your testimony!! The Lord gave us the internet for a good reason and one of them is to stay connected with family, friends and those he brings into our lives. WE ARE THRILLED with what the Lord has been doing in and through you!!! Keep this blog going. It's a blessing to you and to all those who are lead to read it.

In His Love,

Dave and Janet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home