Thursday, January 04, 2007

Decision: Silicone vs. Saline

AT THE END OF THIS YOU WILL FIND A WAY TO HELP ME AT THIS POINT OF MY JOURNEY

Dear Friends,

I am learning more and more each day about this journey. It is a longer road than I thought and there are delays and detours along the path. I heard a message the other day that said: "If we don't get our hopes up then we won't be disappointed." I remember when I asked my plastic surgeon how much time it would take for the reconstruction process. He responded with, "You have a long road ahead of you." Not the words I wanted to hear. So I started moving the process along as quickly as possible by going once a week (the doctor told my I could come as often as once a week) for the expander to receive saline injections. But God had a different plan which I have had to learn to accept. I am in the process of learning to be less frustrated in life about things that are not in my way or in my timing, as I try to remember that God's ways are perfect and His timing is perfect. There is a reason for everything. So, the process of breast reconstruction is timed by God. He knows my body and how fast the skin can stretch, He knows how fast my body can adjust, He knows how much time is needed for Him to reveal which route to take-Silicone or Saline implant, He knows what is going to be happening in my life the next months and when will be the most convenient time for the operation, He knows when my body will be ready emotionally and physically for the implant. So I wait on Him.

It is surely timed by God. I thought that I would have the saline fillings as close together as possible to speed up the process by going once a week because I wanted to get this process done and over and also get the other two operations out of the way as soon as possible to be able to move on (I think I, as well as those around me were not aware of the process ahead or I forgot the information in the information overload phase earlier on). However, with my doctor’s schedule and mine it became every other week. OK I thought, that will just delay it a bit and I can have the operation in February or March. That was my idea. But God had another idea. This was God managing the scheduling since my skin was no longer able to stretch that quickly and I was starting to wonder ( am a bit anxious about going again for more fluid) how any more fluid could fit in the expander any way. In fact a few weeks ago I had to have him hold back from putting the whole amount in. This past week he was able to put the whole amount in, but I got the news that I would have to wait a month more for more saline because my skin needed more time to stretch (was starting to look shiny). OK, I get it loud and clear, God is in control and not me!!!! So, once the expander is filled well beyond the final size then there will be an operation to put in the “permanent” implant. They go into the same incision from before which have healed beautifully by the team of my great Physician (God) and my plastic surgeon. After that they will surgically create the nipple.

Well, God is surgically working on my body both outside and inside. Lot’s of pain (not physically) but the results are going to be great both outside and inside, that I am sure, because He who began a work in my will bring it to completion. That is a promise from God’s Word. I am growing by leaps and bounds feeling like there is not more that can go into my expander but there was amazingly more room and no discomfort this time. I keep on wanting God to stop from the chiseling away of my insides because of the pain but I know that he is getting rid of the impurities and getting me ready for the next steps of my life. In my weakness HE is made strong. He is teaching me life lessons. Learning to praise God even in the valleys of our life and seeing His blessings.
Now, here is the way in which you might be able to support and help me at this stage of the journey. I am in the midst of making the decision to go for a Saline or Silicone implant. Until recently there would not have been a decision to make, but Silicone is back on the market. My Doctor is comfortable with both and does not have a preference at this point. Many other countries have only been using Silicone for years. I have been told a few things regarding both options which I will wait to tell you.
My request is that if you have time and enjoy researching here is an opportunity to assist me in searching for information regarding the two options. I have been referred to www.mentorcorp.com. This might be a start. Would be great for help summarizing the information. I am in information overload and one of my strengths is not pulling information together even when I have less trouble focusing and do not have the patience for the web. My best way of learning is through experience but I do need tangible information as part of this decision making process. Another way to help is to gather information from friend’s of yours who have already been through this process to get their feedback on the pros and cons. Thanking you in advance for what ever information you can find for me. With many of you in the medical community and with Breast Cancer being so common these days I am sure there is a wealth of experience we can glean from. I will share the information later on the blog so it can assist others in the future.

Thanks,

Ruth

www.ruths-journey.blogspot.com New pictures coming soon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home